CFP: Censoring Palestine at the University: Free Speech and Academic Freedom at a Crossroads
Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 | 11:45 pm
- the rescinding and subsequent firing of AssociateProfessor Steven Salaita at The University of Illinois,Urbana-Champaign;
- the unwarranted investigation of faculty members suchas Professors Rabab Abdulhadi at San Francisco StateUniversity for constitutionally protected activities of freespeech about the state and people of Palestine;
- the unfair and systematic targeting of SJP, MSA and Arabstudent organizations for sponsoring and organizingevents for Palestinian awareness;
- promoting and funding campus groups and activities thatonly approach Palestine with an apolitical agenda whileisolating, prosecuting and criminalizing those operating independently, critical of Israel, opt not to engage inuniversity crafted dialogues or supporting BDS; and,
- other instances that includes the official withdrawal ofuniversity sponsorships for academic conferences;reduced funding or the cancellation of events; additionalrequirements beyond the normal process that involvesadministrative evaluations, policy reminders, speakerapprovals, and security precautions.